Today Delphi Steel are sharing this fascinating video (Steel…How It’s Made) showing how this amazingly versatile material is manufactured. All Delphi Steels Industrial Steel Buildings are constructed using cold-rolled steel, one of the most light-weight construction materials available. Light-weight yet retaining high tensile strength.
There are few materials that play as important a role in our lives as steel. It is the most widely used and recycled material on the planet. With uses ranging from cutlery to bridges, our lives really would not be the same without it.
Some interesting steel facts:
- Formed when Iron is combined with small amounts of carbon, recycled steel and traces of other elements
- Steel is roughly 1,000 stronger than iron in its purest form
- The first true steel was manufactured in India in around 400 BC
- A British inventor, Harry Bessemer, is generally credited with the invention of the first technique to mass-produce steel in the mid 1850’s, a technique that is still used today.
- Steel closes the material loop
- 100% recyclable without loss of quality
- There are more than 3,500 different grades of steel, each designed for specific purposes.
- Over 75% of these grades did not exist 20 years ago
- Steel can be reprocessed time and again without losing its properties, making it an exceptionally sustainable material
- Recycling steel saves the equivalent energy to power around 18 million households a year
- The amount of energy needed to produce a ton of steel has been reduced by 34% since 1972
Cutlery, bridges, cars, surgical equipment, dishwashers, buildings…..the list goes on, steel is a major player in our modern lives. Today we’re sharing this fascinating video showing how this amazingly versatile material is manufactured.
Steel…How It’s Made